These deviled eggs with bacon are guaranteed to be one of the first things to go at a picnic or potluck. They’re especially light and creamy, and they’re topped with crispy, crunchy bacon.
How to Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs (Plus Easy Peel Tips)
Have you ever had a bad batch of hard-boiled eggs that just wouldn’t peel properly?
Thankfully, there’s a simple secret to making perfect hard cooked eggs.
Begin with nice, fresh eggs which will give you the perfectly shaped whites that make deviled eggs looks so appealing.
You don’t need to use old eggs, a tip we never liked because the cooked eggs were often mis-shapen. Forget pricking the ends or adding vinegar to the water. Our method is so easy! Simply cook your eggs in hot steam for a perfect result.
- You’ll need a large saucepan that can accommodate a steamer basket or insert.
- Arrange your large eggs in a steamer basket.
- Add one inch of water to the pot and bring to a full rolling boil over high heat.
- Place the egg-filled steamer basket over the boiling water (use an oven mitt if necessary to protect your hand) and cover.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high so the water is still simmering but not making the pot lid sputter.
- Set your timer, and steam the eggs for exactly 14 minutes.
- Fill a medium metal kitchen bowl halfway with water and ice.
- When the timer goes off, transfer the eggs to the ice water using tongs.
- Let the eggs sit in the water for at least 10 minutes.
- Tap the eggs all over with a soup spoon to crack the shells, and roll them gently on your counter.
- Run a gentle stream of lukewarm water from your kitchen faucet, and peel the eggs under the running water. This will help loosen the membrane between the egg and shell and make peeling easier.
- When you cut the eggs in half, you should have perfectly-cooked yellow yolks. (Note: Depending on your altitude, you may need to adjust the cooking time up or down a minute.
You’ll need 8 hard-cooked eggs for 16 deviled eggs, but you can easily increase the quantities to feed as many people as you like.
Here’s the easy recipe:
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and finely crumbled
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise; gently scoop out yolks and place in a bowl.
- Mash yolks with a fork, then stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and curry powder until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon or pipe about 1 tablespoon yolk mixture into the hollow of each egg-white half.
- Sprinkle the tops with the crumbled bacon and serve immediately.
- To make ahead, cover and chill up to 4 hours. Garnish with crumbled bacon just before serving. Makes 16 eggs.
Store any leftover deviled eggs (doubtful this will happen) covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g