This fried cabbage with bacon recipe elevates the humble cabbage to a whole new level of flavor!
What I love about this recipe is that the cabbage is fried quickly so it retains its fresh green color, with a texture that’s crisp-tender to the bite. As the cabbage cooks down, it absorbs all the delicious flavors from the bacon drippings and becomes even more tasty. A little garlic added at the end makes this dish even more flavorful.
Is there anything better than showing up to a potluck with the most popular offering? This dish totally fits the bill, and if you’re a bacon lover you might also enjoy some of our other extra-tasty bacon side dishes like Bacon Wrapped Sweet Corn, Bacon Macaroni and Cheese and Bacon Deviled Eggs
Here are the easy steps for making this fried cabbage recipe:
- Cook chopped bacon.
- Drain, pour out most of the drippings, add cabbage.
- Cook cabbage until tender, add garlic.
- Add in the bacon, cook and season
- Grab a fork, take the pan in the closet and devour. Just kidding! Of course we’ll share it with others.
Enjoy this dish for an Irish dinner with corned beef, or go the Southern direction and pair it with Southern barbecued ribs or fried chicken. You can also enjoy it for breakfast with eggs and toast.
One serving of this recipe prepared according to the directions contains approximately 2 carbohydrates, making this a very Keto-friendly dish.
The only variation you might find in the carb numbers would be due to the way your particular bacon brand is cured and processed. Some brands are processed with sugar, which will result in more carbs.
To ensure that your bacon is low in carbs, Dona’s Kitchen has compiled a list of 5 best bacon brands for Keto.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Begin by cutting a large head of cabbage in half, and slicing it in 1-inch slices.
Then chop it in 1-inch pieces:
Next, chop eight slices of thick-sliced bacon.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until it’s almost fully cooked, but not quite.
Add the chopped cabbage and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Check seasonings, remove from heat, and serve!
Here’s the easy recipe:
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 8 strips thick-sliced bacon
- 1/2 large head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the cabbage in 1-inch slices, and then cut each slice in 1-inch pieces; reserve.
- Chop the bacon in 1/2 inch pieces. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Line a plate with two paper towels. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain it on the paper towels.
- Pour out the liquid fat from the pan, leaving the bacon drippings in the pan. Return to the stove, add the butter to the pan and heat over medium-high heat until the butter bubbles.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring often and scraping the bits up from the pan, until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the garlic, salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved bacon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve at once. 4 servings.
If you enjoy this recipe for Bacon Fried Cabbage, we’d be thrilled if you clicked the little stars above and gave the recipe a 5-star rating.
Are you on Pinterest? You can save or share the recipe with this handy pin: